Thursday, November 6, 2008

He made it look easier than it really is.

On a recent excursion to the dining center, I was honored to partake in a meal with an old friend of mine(1). Following this meal I thought that perhaps my palate could benefit from the refreshing lucidity of ice cream. At the machine I found myself faced with a decision, a paper cup or a sugar cone(2). Ultimately deciding on the sugar cone I pulled down on the knob to release the ice cream in a frustratingly slow pace.
1) This friend is my current roommate. We met when we were half the height we are currently. It was near 7th grade when we started communicating. He was a shy boy who played the baritone in band. Initially I wasn’t drawn to music, instead I was drawn to the movement of the players themselves making the music. The bows of violins moved in rhythmic motions that could only compare to intricately choreographed sword fights. Despite my interest in the string instruments I ended up following my father and playing the trumpet. It is almost like a more pathetic version of a football legacy. But through my instrument playing I met my roommate and copied his algebra homework every day since then.
2) The whole concept of a cone to hold ice cream is a relatively new idea. It came out in the early 1900’s with the original inventor unknown. Many people claim to have invented the sugary treat, yet there is no evidence as to which inventor lays claim to the true rights of the sugar cone.
The whole process of receiving a sugar cone sparked an idea in my head. The sheer amount of refuse saved if everybody used a cone instead of a paper cup is startling. It lead me to believe that if there were an equivalent for paper plates that tasted half as good as sugar cones, we might be able to cut back on even more refuse. However, then there is a problem about which flavor would taste acceptable with a multitude of flavors. I would think some tortilla like substance would only be good for Mexican foods.

No comments: