Friday, November 7, 2008

I am a Cultured Farmer

Not many people would know that I am currently learning a new language. At least three or more hours a week I am. I like to think that this makes me a bilingualist. Would you think more highly of me if I were bilingual? I consider bi-, tri- lingualists to be above people who aren’t. I certainly feel that they are more cultured than most. I love that word cultured. I wish I were a more cultured in the language aspect. Yet, what does being cultured even mean. Traditionally country people 1 are not thought of as cultured to the city life. I would argue though that city people are not cultured to the ways of the country life. But I also know that this “cultured” notion came about in the olden times, when the educated population lived in the city. Those living out on a farm were not usually formally educated. Did farmers know how to speak two languages? Probably not. However, if a farmer had to make a business transaction or sell some corn to a Spanish speaking man then he must be able to communicate in some way with him. That would make him more cultured than his neighbor down the road 2 who doesn’t know another language.
Learning a language can be pretty exasperating. Starting off your vocabulary consists of family member names, food items and maybe some directions and greetings. The first thing I learned to say in Spanish was Hello, My name is Elise. “Hola, me llamo Elise.” Who am I really ever going to say those words to besides my fellow bilingualists in class? I have yet to share my knowledge of this language to a native of Mexico or Spain. Is my skill a waste of space in my head? Have I failed miserably at my attempt to be cultured? 3


1 I have never thought of myself as country until I came here. There are so many people from Chicago or rather people who like to associate their home with Chicago. The accepted thought is that if you aren’t from the city then you are country. Your home is surrounded by deer infested corn fields; you drive your tractor to school and have a distinguishable southern accent. Something is definitely wrong with this.

2 My grandparent’s neighbors down in Parnell, Iowa, who live down the road, bought a horse to function as their lawnmower. They fence him in and move him to different parts of the yard occasionally. He eats that grass down the dirt. Best lawnmower I have ever seen.

3 There is a very good chance.

No comments: