Friday, August 29, 2008

Just wondering, English style^^;


As the novelty of one of my first English classes in a college setting fades in the background, I think I'm ready to evaluate what I really feel. What I'm feeling is a mixture of all the positives and the negatives you could ever see in a rainbow. I'm excited, I'm scared, I'm liberated, I'm nervous and I'm happy that I'm now part of English 100. However nerdy and silly it is for me to admit, I was really glad when I saw the number of books we had to read. Now, I'm not usually happy to read what I'm required to read, but when it came to English and anything English-related, I was always one of the first ones who willingly tried a book...most of the time. The first pages of Falling into Theory killed that willingness. If it was at all possible, if I killed the thought that burning books is a blasphemy, I would set up a pyre, burn Falling into Theory and rename it Falling into the Fire instead. Just thinking of the book itself sends my mind into a rampage. Other than that fury, that abominable book, I have a feeling that I'll manage to enjoy or, at the very least, survive the reality of becoming an English Major. Part of that prediction has something to do with the other book the class is reading as well. Much Abbreviated... is a fascinating book, it offers me a very realistic proof of how lucky I am that I'm born in this century, that such cruelty that Las Casas described is now gone, although, I have to admit, there are also some parts where I hate reading Las Casas more than Falling into Theory. Those parts are mostly when Las Casas insists on thinking that all the people who killed were Christians. It just makes me want to raise him from the grave and ask him if he has proof that the people who committed such atrocities were really and truly without a doubt Christians. Aside from that, the other reason comes from the entertainment that Gudding offers. I'll admit it, he cracks me up so often. The rate he talks and the instances he's said the word f*** are hillarious. Because of him, because of Las Casas, because of the amazing staircase back at Williams, because of my innate love of English, I think I’d be able to stay on the path to becoming a successful English major.

1 comment:

Gabriel said...

Hey! I only said "f***" once! One time, one time, one time! It was on day 2. I regretted it!!!

Not fair!!!

:)

gabe