Friday, August 29, 2008

The Title is Always the Hardest Part to Think of...




I didn’t know elephants could swim. That blows my mind. I found that out this past week. There are pictures to prove it. They use their trunks as snorkels and practically scuba dive a good 4 feet beneath the surface. These massive four ton beasts can swim! They do a sad sort of doggie-paddle and stay afloat. The damned organic anchors are even known to swim for miles to get to some far off place. I find this absolutely astounding. Seriously, mind-blowing is an understatement.

I guess I find this interesting because apes can’t swim. The mighty fore-fathers of mankind simply cannot tread water. Not at all. They can wade through water, but that’s where their aquatic adventures end. They’ve even been known to shove a stick into water to test its depth, but never swim. They freak out too much. They hit the water and spaz. They end up drowning themselves because they can’t remain calm enough to get to the shore.

I’m not going to exaggerate and say that I’m horribly burdened, nor am I going to lie and say that college is a piece of cake. I’ve never chucked a book against the wall, but I’ve also never spent so long reading six pages. I don’t want to give off the wrong impression. I get completely lost in the arduous jargon of “Falling into Theory,” just like everyone else. I have a big question mark over the top paragraph of page 63 and if anyone would like to fill me in on what it actually means, please go ahead. I guess I’m just different in the fact that I don’t let it get to me too much. Don’t confuse this with apathy because it’s not. I find it all very interesting; I just don’t freak out when I don’t know the answer. It’s not because I don’t care, it’s because I’m here to learn. I’m not expected to know everything yet. I’m learning. I’m a student. For now I’m in survival mode. I’m just keeping my head above the water. I’m just swimming.

No comments: