Thursday, August 28, 2008

English...now that's trippy

I have always loved English, but with saying this I have always loved math and psychology. So what made English jump above all of the other subjects? Why do I want to teach this subject above all of the rest? I came to Illinois State University not really knowing the answer to this question, and I realize that I may not know what makes English so much better than all the other subjects until I finish my education here. These past few weeks at school have been very chaotic (to say the least) I am in two history classes which give about more reading every night than our English class does, which does not make much sense to me. Nothing, however, has been compared to the craziness I feel in English 100. It is an amazing class; I have already learned and spoke at a level which I have never thought about doing in high school. The books that we are reading right now are at a level which I do not believe I have ever read at, but to me this is a good thing. I love the fact of reading something that is outside of my range, because then I know after a while books will get harder to read, and what I am reading now will seem easy. I would usually not read something like Las Casas “Destruction of the Indies” because I am a person who hates gore and gruesome imagery. Las Casas does a great job of making my skin crawl, especially with his gruesome pictures. “Falling into Theory” is also an interesting book. I say this because I have never read anything where I only understand the material half of the time. For the first time in my life I actually had ideas of throwing the book outside my thirteenth floor of Watterson. When I read how the Indians are tortured in “Destruction of the Indies” I feel like the same thing is happening to me, only “Falling into Theory” is torturing my brain. Hopefully my love for English will only grow here at ISU and my classes, although they are difficult, is doing a great job of challenging me.

No comments: