Friday, August 29, 2008

English 100? More like English 1000!


Being a freshman in this English 100 class is terrifying! I can already tell that it will be my hardest class this semester. It's like I jumped from senior year of high school to senior year of college. The homework isn't very long but the amount of time it takes me to even slightly compregend the writing is the same amount of time it takes me to do all my other homework from all my classes. And when I pretty much comprehend the writing its because Mr. Gudding is telling me what it means. This class is hard but it's also enjoyable. I don't enjoy reading the selections but I do enjoy talking about them. While I'm reading them about an hour before class begins, I think to myself. "Who are they to think that they can tell me what to read and how to read it? How patronizing!!" I do like Las Casas book a lot more than Richter's just based on that he writes more about facts and history and Richter's essays are all about peoples opinions on how to read literature. I like reading about facts because I don't have to think if I agree or disagree. They're just right. I also like hearing everyone else's opinion. I sometimes feel intimidated because some of the students really understand the reading and have such great insights about them. I do feel that once the year progresses I will get used to reading such complex material and maybe even enjoy the opinions of those self-loving writers in Richter's book. I know it sounds like I don't enjoy this class but I really do. It's by far my most laid-back class and aside from my spanish teacher who won't allow me to speak english in class, Mr. Gudding is my only semi-young teacher and the most relatable. I don't feel shy to tell the class my opinion and I think everyone else is pretty much as confortable as I am when it comes to expressing our opinions. I believe this class will be hard but I'll get used to it and get through it. I'm just a little overwhelmed right now.

No comments: