Thursday, August 28, 2008

Just the beginning

As I sit here wondering what to write, I realize that I have never written a blog before. I am not sure of what to write, or what might come next.It is a new experience for me, much like being an English Major in English 100. Looking back at my past high school English classes, I realize those were all a breeze. Although some texts were deeper with meaning than others, I eventually got to the point and never really felt like anything in those classes were a struggle for me. Well, being here is a different story. I am not sure of anything. The books, the language,  everything we are being introduced to is new. My way of thinking has already changed in the past few weeks and I have come to realize that even how I am reading and interpreting things have changed as well. Even though this class has at times has made me so angry that I sometimes throw my book across the floor, I realize that the more I read, interpret, and not give up, the less I will end up throwing my book. Instead I wont want to put it down, interested in the language it contains, and the meaning between each line. This class is unique because it does not just teach about the basics of English, but so much more. While reading "Falling Into Theory", I came across a quote that really made an impression on me. The quote says, "Like religion, literature works primarily by emotion and experience..."(Eagleton 51). Although I would not ever compare anything with religion to the extreme, I believe this quote is making a good point. Literature involves one's emotions and experience. By reading various material, writing, and learning new things all while studying literature is a way of experiencing others work, points of view, and opportunity for new ideas. Not only does Literature involve experience, but emotion as well. Every time someone reads,writes, or interprets something they are unconsciously putting their feelings and emotions into their thoughts and ideas about what they are reading or writing. Although this is just the beginning, I know that in the end, every book I throw, frustration that comes to mind, will be worth it. Because, in order to learn English and Literature one must experience and feel what they are learning in order to fully understand.

No comments: