Friday, August 29, 2008

"Since when can weathermen predict the weather? Let alone the future!" (Marty McFly)


I like to pretend that I can see the future.

It's probably not the best of habits, but I can stop whenever I want to. How I do this is, when you clean out your room, or the basement, or even a car at my house, you tend to find lots of old magazines, mainly People or Good Housekeeping (my mother's periodical of choice). What I do is, I scour these magazines. Keep in mind, I know that I have already read these magazines for ever since I could read; I've finished them within the first three days they are at the house.

Inside these articles, are tales of found and lost love, the next "big" stars and the books that will change the world. But I see the next ex's, last year's Razzie award winner, and birdcage lining.

And I tell them. Yes, that’s right, I speak to the magazines. I tell them the future that they have yet to experience. Because I've lived it, I know what their next best move is. I'll be the first to admit that it's not very nice and probably pretty unhealthy, but I like the feeling of knowing something no one else does. Even if my only audiences are glossy 6x8's that have no hope of defending themselves. Normally I have no interest in the lives of celebrities, but there is something about their failings that make them seem so human, a fault that some find refreshing while I find it scary. I don't want these people to be human. They are above human. They should be a separate race of super-humans with the power to always have cameras with them. There is something about their failings that worries me. If they do not make good decisions, and they have hundreds of people who are paid to help them make decisions, how in the name of George Picard am I supposed to make huge life changing decisions on my own?
I'm not a risk taker, and to be totally honest, I don't like when others take big risks either. It makes me really nervous. Almost every (important) action I've ever taken has been planned for some time. Don't get me wrong, I can be quite spontaneous when it comes to what to do on a Friday night, or what to get people for birthday presents. But when it comes to big decisions, it’s not pretty. I fret about things forever, and anger everyone around me with my inability to focus on anything else. Choosing a college was a terrible ordeal for pretty much everyone around me.
However, sometimes this works in my favor. The reason I am an English major is because I have thought about it since the 8th grade. This is what I am good at, and conveniently, it is what I enjoy as well. Yes this class is hard, for I have always struggled with theory and critique of literature, but I find the things that we cover pretty interesting. And to be totally honest, I like the challenge. I went into college expecting the classes to be difficult. So this is meeting my expectations. Plus, I feel that this class will help me in a lot of my future endeavors. For reading something and getting all that you possibly can out of it, is a skill that you can take straight to the bank.



No comments: