Thursday, August 28, 2008

Why I am an English Major

English has always been my strong subject, where as in math or science class I really never had much to say. I have always loved going to class weather if it consisted of diagramming sentences, novel reviews or just lecturing. Because of this, in accompany with my love for reading and writing, i decided that majoring in English was my best road to success.
Coming to Illinois State I really didn't know what to expect. I definitely do not consider myself one of the smartest students to have graduated from my high school but it was safe to say that i was in the top 20th percentile. Would English classes be much harder here? They were a breeze in high school. Do i really love reading as much as i think? What if i stop enjoying reading when i have to start reading 70 pages every night? And writing, do i really have the ability to write at a college level and not only survive but to excel and have all honors? Just thinking about all of this gives me more stress but in a way is therapeutic.
Speaking of stress, I'd like to elaborate on the stress i have been feeling this semester in particular. I believe I can from a pretty prestigious high school district, i have heard it is one of the best in the entire mid-west area, but did they prepare me for this? Did they prepare me to depict "Falling Into Theory" or "Las Casas?" As of now, i feel that i am struggling to some extent, but i know my peers are as well. I did read some more dense novels in high school, such as "1984" but i do believe parts of "Falling Into Theory" are much more challenging.
One of the more challenging passages is the one written by Gauri Viswanathan. I found myself struggling to concentrate and realized I was just reading and not comprehending.
I love reading and i love writing. I love the structure of the English language and love being able to string words together and evoke emotions in my reader and more importantly, myself. Will I stay with the English major? Probably. I feel that with my strong passion for this language and a passion for teaching and working with children that i will persevere through it and overcome obstacles as they come. All I have to keep in mind is just to wait for those obstacles to come and not worry until they get here.

No comments: