Friday, August 29, 2008

Comics I Intend and Don't Intend to Understand



Usually a comic I enjoy reading, xkcd, this particular one of it pretty much sums up, while, fittingly, I'm currently ditching my ridiclously simple and brain cell-killing math class today, why I'm an english major. The more comics this site posts about linux, science and etc., the more certain I am that I don't even want to understand what it's talking about, as it really doesn't interest me.
Not only has english always been a staple of my sanity, but it's been my passion as well. And while I hadn't caught a few points of the last readings that we discussed in class, in their entirety they've convinced me that I'm in the right place, because, not to sound too sappy, but writing has been there for me all these years as a channel of expression in ways that nothing else has been, which is why I led only two, not to mention, not widely known of, english clubs at my high school. It crept up on me, in a way, that my boyfriend's a chemistry major, and whenever I see his math and science textbooks I'm always relieved, that after sophomore year or so I'll never have to take either subject again!
Now back to the comic thing, this is another comic I read, less often now, called picturesforsadchildren. Obviously it's a very dry comic, funny in its own way but my sister, who majored in english before switching to law school, informed me that every day of this comic is based on a classic literary work or poem. I found this mind-boggling, and as the days went on I understood fewer and fewer of them, not having read the texts. So one of my goals now is to have read enough to understand and know the context of at least most of them.

2 comments:

Stephen Stanger said...

are you in math 113? cuz i definately ditched that class today too.

Vincent Aguilar said...

Brilliant comics.