Friday, August 29, 2008

A Different League


So these past couple of weeks have been interesting to say the least. I decided that I wanted to become an English Education major mainly because I love to read and write. Well, I've been doing a lot of both. I'm not complaining though, because while several of the texts I have read have been difficult, I both enjoy the complexity of the ideas as well as enjoy the challege the actual reading presents. At times I might get frustrated when I don't understand exactly what I am reading, but there is a certain sense of accomplishment in figuring it out in context with the rest of the work.
There are several things I've liked about English 102 so far. One of them is that I've never questioned why I read. I mean, I would wonder why it was important enough to be a class, but I enjoy reading enough that the question didn't really bother me. After reading some of Falling Into Theory, though, I now understand that the reasons I read are complex. The best explaination I've found so far is that that literature serves to make people more human, and works towards the betterment of society. When Eagleton compared literature to religion, I at first found that concept shocking, but the more I thought about it the more I realized that literature does function in that kind of way, even if some would argue that it doesn't function quite as deeply.
After reading Distruction Of The Indies, I liked the comparison that was reached between literature and religion by comparing this text and Falling Into Theory. While Las Casas focuses only on religion and the role it played in conquering the native americans, you can see that both work to convince people to act a certain way. I guess this idea is so appealing to me because the stories that mean the most to me really do leave me with the feeling that I've been changed in some way morally.
So basically, so far I like being an Engish major. Although i'm in English Ed, my real dream is to become a writer. I was excited about college because I knew it would be harder than anything else I had ever done, and that at the end of it I would be a more mature and skilled author. I think that this has already started to happen, mostly because instead of just having an idea about how to write, I am now learning why I'm writting in the first place. I'm in a different league than I was in High School, and I think i feel like a little fish who has just been placed in a much bigger container - I'm growing.
I guess this blog isn't really all that entertaining, but I had a lot of things to say that were important to me that I didn't really know how to express in a funny manner. I really am creative though, and I think pretty funny too given the right scenario. I do hope though, that this has helped to illistrate what I've been feeling since the start of school.

No comments: