Thursday, August 28, 2008

Holy English Batman.....

All I can say is wow. Coming from high school I never opened a book, or studied, this whole thing of "studying" is foreign to me. I'm not a genius who is above studying in the least, but high school was easy. This is a whole new experience for me, and I like it. I'm actually being challenged, for the first time in my life I am spend more time on school work then fun. In most of my high school English classes we watched movies, and never were required to read (how about that?). Well that was actually a problem in my case because I like to read. I like writing even more, I am not so sure if I like this whole blog idea, but I love creative writing. I think what attracts me to being an English major the most would have to be the fact that everything is debatable. There is really no wrong, or right answer, it is all in how you interpret things. Math is a subject that kills my GPA because of all the logic involved. Honestly, I don't care what x equals. Sometimes I fear that I am not good enough at writing to be an English major, but then I remember how bad I am at math. I also enjoy reading the books assigned in English 100. So I don't know if this is a rude reaction, but I find it kind of funny how we are reading a book about the theory of reading. I think it is very intriguing, but at the same time sort of odd. I am struggling a little with the context, but so are the others I have talked with in the class. I feel over time we will all catch on and learn how to write with big words like Gauri Viswanathan. Until then I will continue to enjoy stressing myself out over trying to understand Falling Into Theory. The other book we are currently reading, Destruction of the Indies, is much easier to comprehend. I think it is something everyone should read. The translator gets the point across with all the abuse and brutality the Indians endured. Even though things, such as mothers being good mothers, yet eating their babies, are a little hypocritical. The most disturbing piece of the book, in my opinion, would have to be on page nineteen. "And thinking a while the lord asked the Holy Father whether Christians went to the sky. The priest replied that they did, but only those who were good. And the cacique then said without thinking on it anymore, that he did not desire to go to the sky, but rather down to hell, so that he would not be were they were and would not see such cruel people." According to this, the cacique would prefer the devil over these people. If Terry Eagleton is right and reading literature does make us a better person I want to read as much as possible so I am never like the Christians in Las Casas. I feel that I have learned quite a bit since the first day of this class, I hope in continues to be challenging. I will be a good person because I love being an English major and reading is most of what we do.

No comments: