Friday, August 29, 2008

You'd Think English 100 Would Be Easier than 101.......


I've sat here staring at the blank blog post for about twenty minutes now. This, of course, is after it took me roughly thirty minutes to think up the title. These first two weeks of English 100 have been rather overwhelming, to say the least. I believe I have called home complaining in frustration every single night due to the assigned readings. Our most recent reading in Falling Into Theory, Introduction to Masks of Conquest by Gauri Viswanathan, proved to be most frustrating of them all. About half way through I began to highlight anything I just plain did not understand. Ten minutes later, I realized 90% of the page managed to become neon yellow. These nearly impossible readings have surprisingly not lead me to question my English major...yet. I became an English major because I have always been intrigued by the fact that there is no right or wrong answer and that literature can be interpreted in an endless amount of ways.
I always feel some reassurance when I come to class and many other people have the same frustrated look on their faces due to the reading from the night before. I am hoping that some of it will begin to make sense and that soon the pages won't nearly blind me as much due to the excessive highlighting.

No comments: