Friday, August 29, 2008

Jeepers!




We are only two weeks into class, and I already feel slightly overwhelmed. Being an English major, naturally I am supposed to love all of this reading, but the text found in Falling Into Theory is more difficult to comprehend than anything I have read in the past. However, this is coming from someone who thought Beloved was hard to follow. While reading the different passages found in Falling Into Theory as well as in Destruction of the Indies, I constantly have to look up definitions for words that exceed far beyond my vocabulary. However, being the nerd that I am, I secretly like the challenge, but don’t tell anyone. Although these books can be slightly difficult to comprehend, once you get over the language the authors use, I find the content is rather intriguing. I’ve never actually sat down and thought about why and how I read. At first, it seemed like a rather pointless topic to discuss, but in reality it raises rather complex questions to which there are many answers. I think what strikes me the most about this course is the fact that I am able to explore the text and express my opinions either through my writing response or out loud during class. I love that there’s not necessarily a right or wrong answer. It is, to a certain extent, all a matter of your interpretation. This type of learning is a nice change of pass from the calculus problems I’ve been doing that demand only one answer, and it must be the answer found in the book not just what I think the answer is or should be. I also enjoy the fact that we are able to have fun while discussing such heavy literature. This is this type of class that encourages me to still be an English major. I anticipate that this class will continue to challenge me, but I look forward to overcoming that challenge in such a fun atmosphere!

No comments: