Friday, August 29, 2008

Would have liked a warning


My senior year English teacher didn’t come off as being a genius or overly scholarly and she went to the ILL-STEW so I thought hell if she can do it I can do it! I mean she never gave me a warning “ wow !Alanna after reading your papers for this past semester I really don’t think you should go to ISU and be an English major, you’ll get this teacher… Gabe for 100, and sure you’ll think 100… EASY A… ha he’ll tear you apart! He’ll make you read book after book, and this one book… oh yeah Falling into Theory… will be the death of you. It has words longer than your left arm, and more hidden deeper meanings than the beers you will drink there! Alanna , you’re a nice girl and all but don’t go to ISU and become an English major and take English 100… with Gabe” yeah she never gave me that speech. Would have been nice of her, but she didn’t. so once I’m done with this blog I’m probably going to quick write her an e-mail… blaming her for me failing 100. Seriously though 100 is not what I expected at all. Ordering the books over the summer I thought wow Metaphors we Live By, and Defense of Poetry, I’m going to learn how to use metaphors and become an awesome poet. Not wow I’m going to sit out in the lobby each night till 2am reading the same sentence over and over again hoping that maybe I’ll eventually understand a bit of it, at least enough to write a summary about it. Then going into class the second day and discussing reading, I felt like the stupidest(I know it’s not a word) kid in the whole college, I started thinking of other skills I have, because clearly reading about theory and discussing it was not one of them. I called my mom afterwards informing her that I was going to change my major to a gym teacher. But then I remembered the paper I had to write for 101, and how a man was put in front of a door and was told he wasn’t allowed in and the man just left. I was telling myself I’m stupid, I can’t do this, I’ll never make it, Gabe hates me because I read the reading wrong and totally agreed with the lady he totally disagreed with, I’m just going to quit. But I don’t want to be like the idiot at the grate who just left and gave up. I’m going to be the idiot who sticks with English 100 and fails! =] Alanna

No comments: