Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Hello Me

ah, this is going to be an interesting assignment

well. i wanted to see what really shaped me. i mean what REALLY shaped how me.
(how i became the way i am)
why i became this way.
it does give me a chance to share some personal information
-about myself
that i probably just couldn't blurt out in the middle of class or in the middle of a conversation
for that matter
it will give me a chance to really think about (my history)
back to the little things that i have locked away
i am sort of excited to look back on myself and to truly try to be creative
in this project
it will be hard to write a little differently, i'm usually a stickler with grammar
--drives me nuts to read a paper full of mistakes.
here we go!


my parents grew very much apart over the years
---never separated--- probably for my brother and mines sake
i wanted to be blonde, used to freak out that i wasn't (random much?)
money was never tight
(until my dad was fired from his job)
father is bipolar and
hard to understand sometimes
mother always came to me for help
never even realized it bothered me. ugh.
witnessing my grandfather falling and having to go to the hospital
hearing about my uncle having a brain tumor
so much--so so so much--drama with my friends
.it made me stressed out and sick most of the time.
brother and i don't get along anymore- it's sad
the creation of the DVD
i don't know why but i was completely against it, it made me angry, strange.
having slight OCD- need things in order, straight, alligned


everyone played sports- you were almost forced into it
parks and fields were everywhere
our school was known for it
being known as the snob community
everyone had some sort of wealth
(and everyone showed it)
the area was sort of racist
if you weren't white, they had a problem
banks and gas stations
at least two on every corner
always, always, always something to do
spending money left and right like it was nothing
school was important
you were expected to be in the honors program
they took away "recess" by third grade- grow up
extension of 355
more freedom, traffic
suburbia.

grew up loving nature- completely against wearing shoes
-had a large creek in my backyard- lots of trees, flowers, animals
loved the winter, loved being cold ( the crisp air made me happy)
could drink straight from the hose or faucet
always had pets
fish, frogs, a crab, and a couple of dogs
i fought with my parents to not cut down my favorite climbing tree
.and won.
went on vacation every year, at least twice
-the place was my second home, knew it just as well as home
my house was the "fun house" for the neighborhood kids
always had friends over
neighborhood and community were very safe
-except for the coyote overpopulation problem

always wanted a pool. never got one.
trampoline had to do instead.


brainstormed random stuff
-bengstons farm
-blockbuster
-the "Orland strip"
-saturday morning cartoons
-being obsessed with disney (movies, place, characters, etc.)
-monthly family parties
-rollarblading
-snow igloo's
-girlscouts
-soccer
-piano lessons
-cooking

"It took rather longer for English, a subject fit for women, workers, and those wishing to impress the natives, to penetrate the bastions of ruling-class power in Oxford and Cambridge. English was an upstart, amateurish affair as academic subjects went, hardly able to compete on equal terms with the rigors of Greats or philology; since every English gentlemen read his own literature in his spare time anyway, what was the point of submitting it to systematic study? Fierce rearguard actions were fought by both ancient universities again this distressingly dilettante subject: the definition of an academic subject was what could be examined, and since English was no more then idle gossip about literary taste it was difficult to know hjow to make it unpleasant enough to qualify as a proper academic pursuit. This, it might be said, is one of the few problems associated with the study of English, which have been effectively resolved." -Eagleton 53

"A careful analysis of the teacher-student relationship at any level, inside or outside the school, reveals its fundamentally narrative character. This relationship involves a narrating subject (the teacher) and patient, listening objects (the students). The contents, whether values or empirical dimensions of reality, tend in the process of being narrated to become lifeless and petrified. Education is suffering from narration sickness." - Freire 68

"Clearly such a statement suggests that it is not the morality of literature that is at issue, but the mental capabilities of the reader." -Viswanathan 63


PS: I wrote this and had it all spaced out and looking amazing but it won't let me publish it that way for some reason.

No comments: