Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Ten Major Points Of Education....well of a mans education.

Pg 69 Paragraph 5
I believe this is saying that students and teachers are opposites in the sense that they both have different ideas about things. I think that this is true because in the past I have had different opinions than my teachers which makes for a better class.
"Education must begin with the solution of the teacher-student contradiction, by reconciling the poles..."

Pg 70 Paragraph 1
I think/hope this statement is saying that students cannot be passive in their education other wise they will not learn to have voices or opinions or thoughts. I agree because I think I learn more when I can actually interact within a class room.
"The more they accept the passive role imposed on them, the more they tend simply to adapt to the world as it is and to the fragmented view of reality."

Pg 71 Paragraph 1
This excerpt is saying how if students and educators only learn/teach by the method of just storing information until the test then forget it when they are done, will accomplish nothing. I completely agree, I believe this, as well as it being hard, is a reason I never have done well in Math. It is just memorization of numbers and when you are done with the information it is simply washed away. However, I always have learned a lot from English due the fact that it is not memorizing numbers and facts, but it is thinking and believing.
"The banking approach to adult education, for example, will never propose to students that they critically consider reality.

Pg 72 Paragraph 4
This was one of my favorite lines in this essay because it is describing how we are nothing without communication. I fully agree with this statement considering I think that, well heres an example; if we were just instructed to read out of falling out into theory and destruction of the indies and then come to class and write a response to it and never talk about it, I think if we had a test on anything all of us would fail horribly. The fact that we discuss and get peoples opinions helps us to understand this better.
"Yet only through communication can human life hold meaning. 

Pg 73 Paragraph 5
If we are not conscious beings what are we? Monkeys? No, they are actually pretty smart. If we were not conscious, which not all humans are unfortunately, we might as well be lint, disgusting lint. In order for men and women to change the world we need to have a working mind, a working voice, and a working body. However, without the working mind we would be nothing.
"Adopting instead a concept of men as conscious beings, and consciousness as consciousness intent upon the world"

Pg 74 Paragraph 4
Educators are reflected by their students. I truly believe this. I taught swim lessons for the past two summers and it was evident what teachers were good and which ones were not due to the fact of how good the student was. Do not get my wrong, I had a couple problem children in my classes but like almost every other problem, it can be solved. Teachers may think that some kids are problem students but thats not the case at all. Everyone learns differently and a student IS a reflection of a teacher.
"the way, the problem-posing educator constantly re-forms his reflections in the reflection of the students"

Pg 75 Paragraph 1
Creative ability is stunned by tyrannical teachers. If a student is in a class where all they do it take notes and hear a lecture, how is this of any use to them at all? How does this show that every student has a voice? It doesn't at all. We as students need something more to challenge us mentally!
"Whereas banking education anesthetizes and inhibits creative power"

Pg 76 Paragraph 4
As humans we know we are not perfect beings. We are aware of the issues at hand, well....some of us are. The fact that we know we are not complete as beings makes us smarter. It gives us drive to strive for perfection. I know every morning I wake up and think "what can I do to be amazing today" somedays my goal is much lower than others, but it is that constant struggle that makes humans amazing.
"Men know themselves to be unfinished"

Pg 77 Paragraph 1
Education is not done. Education is not perfect. Education will never be done changing. Constantly teachers and students are learning from each other. This system makes it easy for the education field to keep growing. There are always new ways to look at things, to ways to think about things, and news ways to act upon things. 
"Education is thus constantly remade..in order to be, it must, become.

No comments: