Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A Metaphorical Life

This reading was just as interesting as the last ones. There were a lot of different concepts to remember though. It also became really repetitive at some parts. All the different kinds were hard to try and remember as time went on. I also did not understand the statement on page 19, "no metaphor can ever be comprehended or even adequately represented independently of its experimental basis." I'm not entirely sure why but I just could not comprehend what that meant.
I thought it was very interesting that not all cultures have the same meaning as we do for sayings such as up-down. Cultures value different things than we do and thus have different perspectives on such sayings and metaphors. On page 29 the paragraph about containers and how the world we live in is made up of them was also interesting. Its very true however. Our houses, rooms, classrooms, our enviornment, and more are all basically containers that we live in. We move from one to another without really considering the meaning behind them.
On page 37 they discussed how seeing a persons facfe satisfies our need to see a person. If we see a person without actually seeing their face then we aren't satisfied and do not feel like we know the person. This concept is so completely true to me. If I see a picture and the face is missing then I don't feel like I've truly seen the person in the picture. The face is an important feature.

Metaphors I've Heard Around Campus
1. I need a pick me up
2. The weather is bringing me down
3. The early bird catches the worm
4. I'm having a meltdown
5. I'm on a sugar high
6. Jumping for joy
7. Time is such a theif
8. He was built like a tank
9. She flashed me a smile
10. He eats like a machine

No comments: