Wednesday, October 29, 2008

3 pages of hell..

Abstruse Of Comprehending

Learning is natural. We all have to do it. A philosophy of learning is connected with a philosophy of teaching. Education is a fragile thing. If you can’t learn, you can’t have an education. And without that, you won’t go anywhere in life. Having an education is powerful. Being literate is compelling. Learning is something that should not be overlooked.
There are many different ways of learning. Multiple intelligences are very important while learning. Depending on what kind of person that you are depends on the way that you learn. There are many different intelligences: linguistic, logical, spatial, kinesthetic, musical, interpersonal, intrapersonal, and naturalist.
There are three different types of learning styles: auditory, visual, and kinesthetic. I myself am a visual learner. I need things like overheads, and words written on the board to understand. Learning by listening sometime really doesn’t do anything for me. If I have be in a lecture, I have to take
Having the previous experience of being a student teacher, I have learned what it is to teach. I’ve learned what it is to be taught. When you are put in the position of being the teacher, you really have to understand how your students will learn from what you are teaching. You write the lesson plans, and have to assess what should be learned.
It is so frustrating to learn new things. It is even more frustrating to try to learn things that you don’t want to. That is when you’re five friends aren’t by your side. Not wanting to learn makes it hard. But when you are excited about learning it seems easier. You feel torn when you want to learn. You would rather being doing anything besides that at the time. To be honest, some of the books that we have read make me not excited to learn at all. Reading Stein made me not want to learn. I can’t do it. I can’t be excited to read books that I have to analyze. Why do we have to highlight and underline so much just to learn about one or two sentences? Do we honestly have to break down everything? There is so much under the surface and we have to understand more than just the sentence that is displayed in the paragraph. Writers seem to make it harder to learn. They make it harder for me to learn. Why isn’t everything just straight forward? It should tell you who what it means; it should be that simple. There shouldn’t have to be an underlying meaning.
How do I learn? I just do. But sometimes I feel like what Freire said is true. “Education thus becomes an act of depositing, in which the students are the depositories and the teacher is the depositor”. (Richter- Freire 69) Teachers just put information in our heads, also known as banking. “The more completely he fills the receptacles, the better a teacher he is.” (Richter- Freire 69) Teachers are only good teachers if they make their students learn information, permanently. I feel though as some time passes those things that were placed in our receptacles eventually drop off.
Terry Eagleton compares literature and religion. In the classroom, you are not supposed to integrate religion. I was taught that God was not supposed to be talked about in school. It is such a controversial issue. Teachers were supposed to teach the subject that was intended to be taught, and leave God to the church. Eagleton says that religion should be replaced with literature, which I think is completely wrong. “If one were asked to provide a single explanation for the growth of English studies in the later nineteenth century, one could do worse than reply: “the failure of religion”.”(Richter- Eagleton 49). I think that you can learn both about literature and religion. It is ironic though that he would mention that, because religion is part based upon the Bible, and the Bible is literature. “It took rather longer for English, a subject fit for women, workers, and those wishing to impress the natives, to penetrate the bastions of ruling-class power in Oxford and Cambridge.” (Richter- Eagleton 53). I don’t know if it was the fact that the upper class thought they were too good for English or that it just came to the lower class first. Either way, English was put on the table to be learned by all. It is the basis of everything else that we have to learn. If you don’t have English, then there is not point to even attempt to learn other subjects.
I think also that how you learn depends on where you are, what you are surrounded by. Who is around you depends on how you learn. If you are sitting by someone that won’t stop talking, or has nervous habits, like popping their gum and tapping their pen, you might not be as susceptible to learning. When I am learning I need it to be peaceful. I don’t need it to be “pin-drop” quiet, but at least a good volume of quiet. Don’t speak in my ear when I’m trying to learn. I won’t pay attention. Sweatpants can sometimes be a hazard in the learning environment. Sometimes I am so comfortable that I don’t feel like learning. No shoes are a must. Covering the feet is like covering the mind. It blocks information from coming in. Crossing your legs might feel like tightening up, but it doesn’t. Playing with your hair is fidgety. I do it, most girls do. I can’t help it. Colors can spark interest. White, black, and gray make me look at the inside of my eyelids. Orange, red, and lime green; those are the colors that make me wake up. They open my eyes to new things, to want to learn. Enough sleep is necessary to focus. And so is the contents of your stomach. You have to be right on before you learn.

No comments: