Friday, October 3, 2008

Letter to Mr. Borzutzky

Mr. Borzutzky,

Before I wander off in a tangent, I would like to say thank you for providing us with an entertaining session this Thursday. It was a wiff of fresh air, I assure you. Now that the pleasantries are done, I would like to say a few more things before I bid you adeu.

Considering I'm one of the few students who didn't get to talk to you, I guess, I owe you more than a paragraph or two. Although, since I can't really remember all the questions that were asked in class, I'll apologize in advance if I can only manage barely two strings of paragraphs.

I believe one of the questions that were asked last Thursday was the question "What qualities do you like in a book" or something of the sort. Most of the students who answered this question gave one characteristic. I can't really give you just one characteristic since there are probably five characteristics that a book needs to possess in order for me to find value in continuing it. One of those characteristics is the genre. I would read either Fantasy that revolves around dragons and knights and knights in disguise and sorcery and magic or Historical fiction that contains past kings and queens. I'm currently reading I, Elizabeth (which let me tell you is awesome; it has such vivid detail and strong emotion.) I've tried to avoid realistic fiction since I see no point in reading it mainly because I'm already experiencing all the reality I could handle right now. I mainly read in order to escape my problems and all the angst that are accumulating in my procrastinated present. Going back to the answers, the other characteristic that a book should have is humor. I'm a sucker for one-liners. The third is of course, the romance. I don't read mainly for the romance as in jumping each other after only 50 pages into the book. I do, on the other hand, read books where the partners struggle in order to be together. The fourth and fift goes hand in hand: the beginning and the ending. I'm one of those who read the first few pages in order to decide if I really want to start to read the book and I also read the last few pages in order to decide if it's worth buying the book and keeping it for the rest of my life. The ending, should of course, contain the kind of ending that I would be envisioning or at least end with some kind of closure since that's what endings are for.

I think the other question, I think, has something to do with what makes us decide if a paper is finished and what makes it ours. Donny might have said it, or Victor, but yes, I shan't deny that sometimes a paper is done if I've finished it at 2am and there are no green lines or red lines that says I've misspelled something or the sentence structure is skewed. Other times, when I haven't procrastinated and I really have spent a great time on the paper, I reach the end when I can't possibly add any more detail because of the page limit. I can't really give you a definitive answer with regards to the second question since I don't know what the other students' answers might be. If other students and I have the same answer, does that mean that a paper is both ours? So yes, I could only give you a half-honest answer which includes a. the paper, if it's not for History, generally includes some humor or sarcastic comments, b. the paper sometimes include historical background (for example, I'll connect King James I to the paper) even if it's not for history or c. it has a mix of old and new English sentence structuring.

There. I'm done and I've possibly taken too much of your time. So, g'bye.

Your ertentained student,
Kristel.

P.S. I'm sorry if I've misspelled your last name. I forgot to bring my notes to my home here in Elgin and I'm only relying the questions and, of course, your last name from my memory which is of course not relyable on times when I really need it.

No comments: