Wednesday, October 8, 2008

errrrrrrrrr

While reading the passage about Wayne C. Booth, it opened my eyes to a new perspective of author/reader relationships. I have never thought about the books I read as relationships with the author. I usually just see a book that looks interesting, read it, think about it, and then I am done. I like the fact that Wayne talks about how we have certain responsibilities as readers. I liked when he mentioned that one of our responsibilities as readers is to not plagiarize. Authors are pretty creative people, and have a right to their own material. I disagreed when Booth mentioned that it is not the worst imaginable thing that can happen to a writer when something of his or hers is plagiarized. I know if I was in that position, I would be pretty angry. Also, this section speaks about censorship. I disagree very much with the whole idea of censorship. I believe that it ruins the authors original work. If something is too intense for a reader to view, read, or watch, then that person should just not view the material. It is just that simple. Now I know we were supposed to mention something about the “how” of reading in here, and to be honest, I have never thought about it so how should I talk about it. Therefore, I shall brainstorm. Reading makes me go crazy sometimes when I think about the whole process. How I read really depends on what I am reading. If I am reading something that relates to me as a person, I try to imagine the book as if I wrote it myself. If a book that I am reading does not relate to me, I try to put myself in that person’s shoes, because it is almost like a new experience just from reading a book. Books are difficult to read when they are in text book form, or “Falling into Theory” (which almost always puts me to sleep. ENEMIESS NOOOO). Therefore, because I have a difficult time reading them, I try to see where the author is coming from, and try to understand it through their point of view. I mean, something must have interested the author enough to write about a certain topic, so therefore, something good has to come out of it, right? All in all, I would like to change the way how I read. I usually simply just READ. Sometimes think over the topic a little, but now I know that I have responsibilities as a reader, which may just help me understand reading and writing a little bit more.

No comments: