Wednesday, October 8, 2008

How to read?

The basic concept I got out of reading Booth's essay is that readers have just as many responsibilities as the authors. He thinks it is important to read and think about how the work came from a living breathing human. He thinks readers should consider these things before criticizing them. I agree with him because everyone is different and thinks in different ways, until you put yourself in the authors shoes you will never understand why they wrote what they wrote. I sometimes do thing and it helps me to understand where they are coming from and their reason for writing that particular work. To criticize before thinking about what the author's thoughts were, or why they did it, is unfair. I am not sure about how I feel about it the the readers responsibility to buy the books though. I myself rarely buy books, the library, or borrowing from a friend is the way to go in my opinion. Not everyone can afford to buy every book they ever liked. I also think it his way of saying it is about the money for authors. The more copies they sell the more money they make, but it shouldn't matter how much they make. It should be more about the impact they have on their readers. I think if it is only about the money, but there is no love in it, the author is wasting their time. I want to be a fiction writer someday, and only because I love it, money is not an issue. You do what you love, and don't worry if people buy it, as long as they read it.

No comments: