Wednesday, October 8, 2008

blahhh.

My favorite responsibility, according to Booth, is the responsibility of friendship that you owe the author. I like thinking of the author as a real person, with feelings and such, instead of a machine that spits out novels. As a “friend” to the author I am able to consider his/her values and consider the piece from other perspectives. Sometimes, I find it hard to remember to do this. When I am really wrapped up in a book I tend to think about things only from my perspective. The part I can relate to the most as a “friend” to the author is passing on another “friends” work. When you enjoy something, such as a song, food, a movie, etc. friends talk and share it with each other. I like the idea of the author being a friend because “when a story ‘works,’ when we like it well enough to listen to it again and to tell it over and over to ourselves and friends, as we have all done,” I feel like I am creating a connection with myself and the author my spreading my love for their work with my friends.

While revising and peer editing papers I try my best to look at the paper from many different perspectives, instead of only my own. I realize that my values and background will influence the way that I interpret the writing, so when I make suggestions I try to make them as general as possible, without any personal bias’s. Also, while revising other’s work I try to keep in mind that they are people and are most likely sensitive about their work. With the criticism I give them, I try to imagine that I am receiving the criticism and what I would be comfortable with hearing. I realize that this blog post is not very long, but you said no BS, and this is really the only way I can connect my writing/writing technique/myself as a reader to Booth.

No comments: