Friday, October 3, 2008

dearest David

I've never really met an author before, with the exception of Gabe, so i am very thankful for you to come into our class and talk to us about your experiences as a writer and your writing process, it really got me thinking about all the elements that go in to my writing:mood, place, outside issues, stress, time frame and many more. and by the way i really like what you read to the class, it gave a clear picture of down town and really made me sad, because it's so true about how towns really do fade away and get replaced, so I wouldn't doubt it, I believe in it.

ISU, has been an experience like no other for me, I was the new girl in highschool so i had to start fresh and make a name for myself, and when i finally became comfortable with who i was and with the people around me it was time to leave. Trust me i was happy to leave, but scared to death at the same time. I almost didn't walk at my graduation because i felt so sick, I thought I had food poisoning and that's why i felt so sick, but when the sickness didn't go away after a week, or two weeks, or a month I finally realized it was the fear I had of going off to school and making friends. I don't know why i was so scared i'm a very out going person, but i was just really scared.
but within my first 2 days here I made friendships I believe will last a life time. We all bonded instantly, and opened up to each other like we knew each other our whole lives. College has made me a much more open person, I'm not scared to be myself of speak my mind, Im not scared of what others think or the judge ment they might place on me, because if they don't like me there's 20000 other people here to might. and i don't need to worry about that one person who doesn't like me.
only bad part about making friend to fast, and tight is they leave next door and right down the hall, them being business majors and me being an english major our homework loads are very different, so when I'm trying to write a paper their trying to tell me a story or watch TV and distract the hell out of. At home your friends don't just come over, and if they do you have your mom to tell them to leave, here they just walk down the hall, and I'm to nice of a person to tell them to leave me alone, thus I've pulled many all nighters because then i'm alone and able to focus, they all can do their homework together but i'm to social that i need to be alone and focus on typing and that alone. When i'm done writing something all i want to do is read it someone, and read it over and over again, I love words and the power behind them and I feel like i become even more open in my writing so I love sharing it, because I'm not only reading them my paper I'm reading them a part of me.
I often can't sleep here, due to the fact my roommate keeps the room at 50 degrees and the AC is right above my feet, or the fact i hate sleeping, so I make up stories in my head, about my life or a dream world, I always plan on eventually writing them all down and making some awesome book but then i wouldn't hava away to sleep.
That is my writing process and my life here at ISU thus far, thanks again for taking time out of your life and talking to us

Alanna Harju

No comments: