Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Responsibilities and The "HOW"

After reading Wayne C. Booth I took into consideration the "How" of reading and writing through his point of view, based off of my responsibility as an Author myself. Booth's most evident belief was the responsibility A reader has to the Author, to let themselves go into the Author's point of view, to look at things from a more personal view of the Author's work one is reading/understanding. Booth stated that his "how" of reading had to do with responsibility and understanding, before criticizing ones work. As an author myself, I took into consideration the "how" of reading and writing based off of Booth's ideas and the responsibilities I  am capable of. Whether I am writing a paper, or reading someone else's. When finishing assignments, I sometimes do not understand them, but like Booth suggests, put yourself in the Author's shoes... After doing so, I take into consideration the ideas the assignment might be trying to convey, better understanding what to do, and how to approach the assignment. I, as an Author myself try to remember that people see things from different points of view. When working on a paper or an assignment, I always have this in mind. That way my work is more presentable towards others rather then focusing solely on what I believe in myself. By understanding Booth's ideas I am better able to see different views on things. I can relate to this with "peer editing" that I have to constantly encounter in many of my English classes. By doing so, I am able to better understand where the Author is coming from, as well as help them fix or better their work on a more personal level, rather than scrutinizing their work or ideas. Like in class, we learned about Authorial intention, which is the intentions of the Author. Booth's beliefs and ideas clearly portrays the importance of taking their intentions into consideration. Being an Author myself, I believe this is important as well. The "how" of reading and writing is to better understand and create rather than to just give up or take it out anger on something one does not understand. By focusing on Booth's "how" of reading and writing, it opens up more ideas for understanding as well as a broader view of interpretation. Although when I write, some of my teachers may not understand what I am trying to get at, or the point I am trying to convey it is better that they try and understand with their generous feed back and willingness to discuss rather then not taking into consideration that a human like themselves put the effort into creating something, criticizing without really trying to understand. Thus, everyday "How" of reading and writing as well as the responsibilities of the Author and reader come up constantly, allowing one to better understand as a whole by being more personal when they read or write something. 

No comments: