Thursday, October 9, 2008

a fool.

Writing a book must be the most personal thing one can do.

(I'm likely not exactly breaking new ground here, as this is probably touched upon in some if not most of the blog posts before this one, but still...)

And I'm not simply talking about a memoir the Rhode Island Notebook, but any book at all. It could contain the basest poetry, the most high brow academia, or even very far-flung fantasy about elves and hobbits and still be intensely personal. Writing is of course an intensely personal act but to have the strength and bravery to publish anything at all is...
I don't know how to describe it. I couldn't do it. I still shudder at peer revision even when it is about subjects I could care less about.

I suppose some could disagree, but then I could always refer them to Booth's writing in Falling Into Theory. To truly discard or embrace something, you have to accept it and bring it into you.

"As soon as I replace my direct perception of reality by the words of a book, I deliver myself, bound hand and foot, to the omnipotence of fiction....I am thinking the thoughts of another"

Excuse me, but that terrifies me. I am not going to lie. I am a very self-conscious person, and the thought of somebody going into my thoughts is a little off-putting. Especially when it is through my writing, ... which i am very unsure about. I don't think anyone has ever really complimented it. Is that bad to want that? I am full of inunsureities.

I forgot what this blog post is supposed to be about. bear with me please.

Hm.
As a writer, don't plagiarize other work.
As a reader, don't plagiarize other thoughts.

I hope this makes sense.

I am going to publish the post, but I am going to try out that waking up in the morning and writing thing. In all honesty, I hated writing poetry,
until I wrote it in this class...

No comments: