Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The "How" of Writing

Well first off, I'd like to say that "A Defense of Poetry" really relates to how I like to write. Of course there are "rules" of writing. But I like writing to enjoy it, not to turn it in and get a good grade. I like writing about stuff that is rediculous and funny and true. When I write for fun and when I write for class, I have very different responsibilities. When I write for fun I don't have to make sense to anybody else but myself. I can swear, I can refer to crazy ideas and be totally free of worry that I will get criticized because I like what I wrote. But when I write for a class, I pay special attention to fulfilling all guidelines required and have way more structure in my writing. I feel like I'm responsible for the understanding of my writing. I feel like it has to make sense to everybody and be very straightforward. Boothe's writing is very carefree but also confident. I feel like that is one of the reasons why I like his style of writing a lot. I think that a writer should believe in their work and when I write for fun I believe in my work way more than when I'm turning it in for a grade. I think I should be responsible for being confident in my work and I need to learn how to not be so structured because sometimes teachers don't want structure. It is my responsibility to tell the difference between the two and to master serious writing and writing just for fun. Who knows maybe one day I will have fun writing a research paper. But probably not.

No comments: