Sunday, October 5, 2008

Only a C?

Dear Daniel Borzutzky,

I would like to start off by thanking you for taking the time to come to our classroom and answer questions. I am hoping to write a fiction story someday so it was really insightful. You gave good advice and I appreciated it. In class I had asked if you have ever been criticized on your work. Well, there was a reason for that question.

In my other English class, English 101, my teacher told us she rarely gives A's and that most of us would get a C. Well, all through high school I have gotten A's on papers and this did not sit well with me. I tried my hardest and I thought I described everything in good detail the way she wanted it. I had my friend who is in the honors program review it as well as two other people in my class. You would think with all the effort and time put into it I would get a B. Well, I didn't. I got a C and it was probably closer to a D then a B. I asked her why and she said I didn't describe anything very well, and it seemed like I didn't put much effort into it. It really hurt since writing is what I want to do with my life. I felt for a few days like I should even change my major because I couldn't surpass a C. I was wondering if someone as good of a writer as you had the same sort of problems. I realized after you said you have been criticized that I shouldn't give up my dream of being a writer based on what some professor says. This next paper due tomorrow will probably be a C as well, but I won't take it so personally this time. It just shows the way you answer one persons simple question can help them out so much.

Much Thanks,
stephanie Healey

No comments: