Friday, October 3, 2008

to whom it may (or not) concern

Dear Daniel,
I’ve never written a letter to someone I didn’t know. I’ve never had a pen pal. I did write to soldiers once in the sixth grade, but later we found out that the address my teacher had been given to send the letters to was a Laundromat in Boston, and not as she had been led to believe, a place to send letters to soldiers. So needless to say, this is a rather odd thing to be asked to do, especially since I know that this letter is not meant for me to get to know you as a person, but as a writer. But nonetheless, I shall push through my awkwardness.
Maybe that’s my problem, my ability to feel awkward and out of place in every possible situation. Do you ever find that you cannot write about something, because you feel like you shouldn’t? Not because it will make others uncomfortable, but simply because others may have something better or more important to say. Even if I know I have an entirely legitimate opinion on something, I find myself holding back simply because I think others might have had more experience with my topic of choice or know something about it that I do not. I am not afraid of differences of opinions, or even being called out on my opinion, for I would rather be in a debate with someone than a discussion based upon agreements.
Have you ever experienced this? Do you even understand what I am asking? Because it is entirely possible that you do not, seeing as I am just beginning to understand this myself.
I wonder though if perhaps this feeling of unavoidable unease in the presence of others, could ever work to my advantage. I believe that writers create from the heart, and if my heart is awkward, misplaced, and low on self-esteem, than perhaps this is a strength? Have you ever come across a personal weakness that you have turned into a strength in your writing?
Thank you very much for taking time to speak to our class. I find what you said and the sample of your writing fascinating.
Sincerely,

No comments: