Monday, October 27, 2008

Artistic liberties have been taken.

I remember my stage debut like it was yesterday. It was truly a juvenile affair; the cast were naught more than a bunch of pre-pubescents running around in anti-zit creme and construction paper costumes. But what can be said about that? Our director was no better, a future cat lady whose receding hair line seemed to indirectly correlate with her expanding waist line. Despite her faults, let it be known that she could recognize talent when she saw it. Why, when I came read the part of Alice, even going as far as to dress up in a blond wig and dress - I didn't need to wear fake breasts, mind you, as at this time my girth made it irrelevant - she pulled me aside and told me that I should perhaps be Humpty Dumpty instead. Of course, my lines would drastically decrease from a couple hundred to a measly 10, but in essence I would be the real star of the show. The plight of twit Alice is quite mundane and base compared to the almost Shakespearian sub-story arc of the tragic Humpty Dumpty. I think in everybody there is a little bit of a Humpty Dumpty, where all we want to do is bring ourselves together. Many of my so-called "peers" could not understand this, especially the girl chosen for Alice. I tried to educate them. I brought the book to every rehearsal, even the ones I was oddly not told about. I rarely read the lines from actual script, as the fools who wrote the play rarely followed the book. And for whatever reason, our plump director never supported me. I tried to petition her, I intentionally left the book in her purse and later in her mail-box, however each time I would find it back in my hands the next day. It was truly strange how detached she was from the whole production.
Needless to say, my performance was still mentioned for years. Many people would come up to me through high school and say to me "Hey, weren't you that nut who played Humpty Dumpty in Junior High and actually hurt yourself when you flung yourself from the wall to the linoleum floor?" To which I would reply and not only explain method acting but educate them on the fact that a nut and an egg, while both sometimes spherical, are not the same thing.

No comments: