Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I felt like this reading was really repetitive. It talked about the many different types of metaphors and how they work and where they came from but I feel like they mostly just said happy is up, sad is down over and over again. I thought it was interesting how spatialization metaphors root from out physical and culture, and how much they really do make sense. Smile is upward-happy is up. Frown is down, down is sad. “Feeling low” doesn’t mean some they are low to the ground, it means they’re sad. It amazes me how universal that is, it’s not something we learn in school its something we have all just culturally became aware off, it like rooted into our brains. “Up rather vertically enter our experience in many different ways and so give rise to many different metaphors”.
I thought the personification ones were really cool and made me realize how many metaphors we use without ever actually thinking about it, and how broad of a topic they really are. The example one “Life cheated me” is a metaphor because life was given a human trait, life isn’t a human so it can’t really cheat, but we all understand what is meant by someone saying life cheated me. I think these ones are my favorite type of metaphors because they make the most sense out of things, one I can think of off the top of my head “that picture really spoke to me” I just thought it was interesting how we use 45454 metaphors a day and don’t even mean to or realize it because they are imbedded into our speech.


my list
1. Men are pigs
2. get your head on straight
3. i hate ass holes
4.Its a pick me up
5.I peed a water fall
6. Dont count your chickens before they hatch
7. Why buy a cow when your getting the milk for free
8. your being a sloth

No comments: